|Prof. David Jordan|
Prof. David Jordan
Professorial Research Fellow, CPS
Prof. David Jordan is a sorghum breeder and geneticist with more than 20 years experience working in both the public and private sector.
For the last decade he has led the public sorghum pre-breeding program in Australia which is a partnership between the University of Queensland (UQ), The Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) and the Grains research and Develop Corporation (GRDC). This is a long running and successful research effort with a reputation for integrating across disciplines and linking research efforts from the strategic to the applied. Breeding lines from this program are widely used commercially in Australia and internationally with 100% of the commercial sorghum grown in Australia having genetics from the program. At the same time the research group continues to produce research papers at the forefront of sorghum research.
In recent years he had led projects focused on improving the lives of resource poor farmers in Africa that rely on sorghum.
Prof. Jordan has a diverse range of research interests including sorghum breeding, exploiting genetic diversity, genetic mapping and genomics, drought adaptation, breeding program information systems and the use of crop modelling in breeding.
- Sorghum Core Breeding Program GRDC
- Breaking The Nexus: More Biomass in Cereal Grain. ARC Discovery
- Fertility Crisis: Harnessing the Genomic Tension Behind Pollen Fertility in Sorghum ARC Linkage
- A Targeted Approach to Sorghum Improvement in Moisture Stress Areas of Ethiopia Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Centre of Excellence for Translational Photosynthesis. Australian Research Council
- Development and Evaluation of Drought-Adapted Sorghum Germplasm for Africa and Australia (Phase II) Generation Challenge Program
- Prof. Graeme Hammer- QAAFI – Centre for Plant Science
- Dr Emma Mace – DAF
- Mr Alan Cruickshank – DAF
- Prof. Ian Godwin – SAFS (UQ)
- Dr Andy Borrell – QAAFI – Centre for Plant Science
- Dr Bob Klein -USDA ARS
- Prof. John Mullet- Texas A&M University
- Assoc. Prof. Patricia Klein - Texas A&M University
- Prof. Ian Small- University of Western Australia
Principal Research Fellow/Associate Professor Sorghum Plant Breeder & Team Leader
Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation
Hermitage Research Station
Yangan Rd Warwick, Qld Australia
Fax: +61 7 4660 3600
Mobile 0429 457846
|JORDAN, David section|
QUEENSLAND Premier Campbell Newman has today announced a $4 million international collaboration to improve sorghum productivity under drought conditions.